‘Sorry State of Affairs’: A Bandipora School With 2 Headmasters
Muqeet Mubashir
Bandipora, August 25: In a glaring example of administrative apathy and a sorry state of affairs of the education department, Government Middle School Branch in Bandipora town has been functioning under two Headmasters for the past three months, creating utter confusion among staff and students and raising serious questions about the functioning of the Education Department in the district.
According to details, the school earlier had a female Headmaster in charge. Later, a senior Master was posted to the institution, and as per norms, he had to take over the charge as Headmaster. However, instead of relieving the earlier incumbent, the Zonal Education Officer (ZEO) Bandipora gave administrative powers to both, allowing them to handle official assignments including online biometric attendance and e-office files.
This unusual arrangement has led to bizarre situations in day-to-day functioning. Teachers say that one Headmaster approves online leave applications while the other rejects them, leaving staff confused and demoralized. Even official communications and attendance on the government’s online portal reflect two parallel authorities, something unprecedented in the system.
Further compounding the issue, Bhutto Mohalla Primary School and Primary School Ward No. 4 have already been clubbed with the Middle School Branch. With two Headmasters exercising powers simultaneously, teachers of the clubbed schools also remain in disarray, unsure about whose orders to follow.
The mismanagement has spilled over to official WhatsApp groups as well. Surprisingly, both Headmasters continue to be members of the exclusive WhatsApp group meant only for Heads of Institutions (HOIs), highlighting the extent of administrative confusion prevailing in Bandipora’s education system.
Parents and civil society members have expressed serious concern. “This is the height of mismanagement. One Head proposes and the other disposes. Teachers don’t know whom to follow, and ultimately children suffer,” said a group of agitated parents.
Sources told this newspaper that a formal complaint about the matter has already reached the office of the Chief Education Officer (CEO) and Zonal Education Officer (ZEO) Bandipora more than a month ago, but no action has been taken so far. Parents allege that the inaction shows the casual approach of authorities towards the education sector.
“We appeal to Deputy Commissioner Bandipora to personally intervene. The future of our children is at stake. Such a system cannot be allowed to continue even for a day,” the parents said.
While talking to Kashmir Convener, ZEO Bandipora, Fayaz Ahmad acknowledged the issue and said the issue may have been resolved on Saturday evening only (When the report was being filed). “Right now, there is only one Headmaster in place,” he said. However, when asked about the attendance issue, he stated that there was a technical issue in complying with it, but as of now, the issue may have been resolved.
Comments are closed.