Will fill 30000 vacancies this year: CM Omar

“Regularisation of dailwagers would begin in phased-manner”

Convener News Desk 

Jammu, Feb 19: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Thursday said that his government would work to fill 30000 vacancies this year.

Replying to the discussion on the Grants of departments under his charge, the Chief Minister, as per the news agency—Kashmir News Observer (KNO), said they would work to fill 30000 vacancies during the year.

“And once again, I repeat what I said in my budget speech. We have stated that this year we will work to fill around 30000 posts. There is no need to create new posts,” the CM said, adding that although they may have created only 600–700 posts, they have filled 6000–6500 posts.

The CM said the vacancies would be filled in a transparent and time‑bound manner.

“These are vacant posts, and we will work to fill them,” he said, reiterating that there is no need for creating new positions.

Defending employment through outsourcing, the CM said that many youth are earning a dignified livelihood through it.

“We are not counting outsourcing within our one‑lakh job target. I am not saying that you should include 20000 outsourced jobs in the one lakh figure. Consider it a bonus, because we do not treat outsourcing as a job,” he said.

The CM said his government would begin the regularisation process for daily‑wagers this year in a phased manner.

“We will work out a timetable and start the process this year,” he said.

He added that the committee set up by the government to address the issue of daily‑wagers could not complete its work within a year.

“I told the House (last year) that we would set up a committee under the Chief Secretary. We gave them six months, but they could not complete their work in that time. They asked for more time, and we agreed,” he said.

He said the reality is that no government has been able to resolve their issues.

He added that the PDP‑BJP government did nothing for daily‑wagers during its three‑and‑a‑half‑year tenure.

“They did almost nothing. Had they done something substantial, the problem would not have become so enormous,” he said.

The CM also said that all tourist destinations closed after the Baisaran Pahalgam terror incident would be reopened by May this year.

“Many of our destinations have already been reopened. I know some are still closed. I cannot say much here, but I can assure you that these matters have been discussed with the central government. You can assume that by May, all these destinations will be reopened,” he said.

The CM said they have no plans to privatise power distribution companies, known as DISCOMs.

“I want to assure the House that we have no intention to privatise power distribution companies. We need to improve their accounting and budgeting and provide more grant‑in‑aid to strengthen their financial health,” the CM said.

He said J&K has an 18,000 MW power potential, of which only 3000–3500 MW has been developed.

“Our intention is that in the next 2–3 years, we will add another 3000–3500 MW,” he said, with a long‑term goal of developing the remaining 11000 MW over the next 10–15 years.

On the issue of encroachments, the CM said that whenever action is taken against encroachers, it should begin with big land grabbers. “No one would say that there should be no action against encroachers. Sham Lal Sharma rightly said that when you have to use the bulldozer, you should start with the influential. I want to assure the House that whenever we have to use the bulldozer, we will begin with the big land grabbers who take refuge in political parties or hide behind them,” the CM said.

Regarding solid waste management, he said legacy waste is a serious issue across cities and addressing it would bring major benefits.

He announced that 2–3 major vertical housing projects would be launched in Jammu and Srinagar this year, with special focus on Economically Weaker Sections (EWS).

He also assured that issues related to leases and Ghair Mumkin Khads would be resolved during this financial year.

On issues raised regarding CDF and related matters, the Chief Minister assured MLAs that savings under the scheme belong entirely to them.

“This money is yours. These savings will not go back to the Treasury,” he said, adding that a special order would be issued for clarity.

On the Information Department, Omar Abdullah said there would be further rationalisation in advertisements, ensuring transparency based on circulation, readership, and reach—(KNO)

Comments are closed.