Wednesday , 23 May 2018
Breaking News

3 days on, restrictions continue in Srinagar parts

Friday prayers disallowed at Jamia for 4th consecutive week

Srinagar, Jul 14 (KNS): Authorities on Friday continued to impose restrictions in Srinagar areas falling under the jurisdiction of seven Police Stations for the third straight day while the administration also barred people from offering Friday congregational prayers at historic Jamia Masjid for the fourth consecutive Friday.
The restrictions under section 144 were imposed in Srinagar parts falling under the jurisdiction of seven Police Stations including Khanyar, Nowhatta, Rainawari, MR Gunj, Safakadal, Maisuma and Kralkhud as precautionary measures.
The curbs in Srinagar parts continued since Wednesday morning following the killing of three Hizb militants in an overnight encounter in Budgam district. One among the slain militants identified as Sajad Ahmad Gilkar was hailing from Nowhatta area of Srinagar.
Heavy contingents of police and paramilitary troopers were deployed on the roads who had erected concertina wires on the roads leading towards Jamia Masjid to halt the vehicular and pedestrian movement.
Meanwhile, on the fourth consecutive Friday, the authorities barred people from offering mandatory Friday congregational prayers at historic Jamia Masjid here.
The Friday prayers at Jamia Masjid area being disallowed since Jumma-tul-Vida (last Friday of Ramadhan).
“A large contingent of force was deployed in the area since the wee hours of this morning who disallowed us to offer Friday prayers at Jamia Masjid. We were forced to offer the congregational prayers at small Masjid’s,” the residents said.
Meanwhile, Hurriyat (M) chairman and Jamia Masjid’s head cleric, Mirwaiz Molvi Umar Farooq lashed out at the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for disallowing the Friday prayers at historic Masjid.
“Strict curfew imposed, Friday prayers again disallowed for the fourth consecutive week at #JamaMasjid.PDP has completely brazened it out….,” Mirwaiz tweeted.
Meanwhile, police officials said that the situation remained peaceful and under control throughout the day. (KNS)